PLEASE NOTE: We have temporarily placed our Education Department and programs on hold. We hope to be able to offer our outreach programs again during the 2021 Season.
Interacting with animals is a great way to teach children of all ages about the natural world, conservation, and the protection of wildlife. Lake Tobias Wildlife Park in Halifax, Pennsylvania, is proud to promote all these things at our zoo exhibits and through our educational outreach programs. We bring some of our wonderful, well cared for animals to you and teach you about their unique ways of life.
We have animal education programs tailored for community events and schools, but we’re also open to working with you to create a custom experience that allows your group a close encounter with some amazing wildlife.
Community events are fun ways to bring everyone together and make your locale a nicer place to live. If you’re looking for inspiration for your event, consider an animal encounter. We would love to be part of your event with an event table set-up.
Our animal education program includes some of our animal ambassadors, various animal artifacts, and Lake Tobias Wildlife Park education staff members to give your guests a unique and engaging experience. Common venues for community events include fairs, churches, and libraries.
Animal experiences are also a fantastic way to get young students excited and interested in science and nature. Our education department strives to provide students of all ages with an engaging and dynamic experience to learn about animals and the planet we all share.
All school-age programs meet Common Core, National Science Inquiry, SAS, and STEM curriculum requirements. Our educational presentations are timed to fit within a school period and typically last 40 to 60 minutes. Established animal education programs are grade-specific and include:
Grades Kindergarten – 2nd:
Animal experiences are a great way to get young students excited and interested about science. Our Education Department strives to provide all ages with an engaging and dynamic experience to learn about animals and the planet we all share. All school age programs meet Common Core, National Science Inquiry, SAS, and STEM curriculum requirements. These educational presentations are timed to fit inside of a school period and typically last 40-60 minutes.
Grades Kindergarten – 2nd:
- Superpower Senses:Explore the five senses. This program dives into how animals use their specialized senses to thrive in their unique environments.
- Head to Tail:Learn about body parts. We’ll explore some unique animals from around the world and compare them to humans, teaching children that it’s good to be different.
Grades 3rd – 5th:
- Animal Adaptations:Why do birds have feathers? Why do snakes have forked tongues? Many of these questions have an important answer that illustrates how they live in their natural environment.
- Ecosystems:The Earth is like a puzzle, and every piece is important. This program digs into the living and nonliving aspects that create an ecosystem.
Grades 6th – 8th:
- Connections:Everything is connected. Whether it’s the food web or symbiotic relationships, we’ll demonstrate how each animal can impact another.
- Our Planet:You can make a difference! We’ll explore the leading causes behind endangered animals and the simple steps we can take to help them.
Other Animal Education Programs
We also have other animal education programs available that are suitable for schools and other educational events. Consider one of these programs for your next event.
- Live and Learn:Meet some of our ambassador animals and discover their natural history, including where they live, what they eat, and how they move. There’s so much to learn.
- Connect & Conserve:Learn how you can make an impact. You’ll meet a few of our ambassador animals that help explain the threats they face. You have the power to make a difference and help the planet — we can show you how.
Pricing And Program Requests
Depending on event length and number of scheduled presentations, discounts may apply to animal education program pricing. There’s a $25 fee for gaps between programs that last 30 minutes or longer. Mileage fees are in addition to the program pricing and are based on the round-trip distance traveled to your event.
- 0-20 miles: FREE
- 21-50 miles: $20
- 51-75 miles: $30
- 75-100 miles: $60
- 100+ miles: Varies
If you’re looking for something besides our standard outreach programs or have a specific topic in mind that’s not listed, please use the form below to reach out to us. We’re happy to work with you to create something great for your event.
Scheduling Your Event
Please note that the availability of our animal ambassadors may change after your program has been scheduled. If an animal is unable to attend your scheduled program, we’ll contact you as soon as possible to discuss the necessary changes. We strive to provide an engaging experience, but guests can’t interact with all ambassador animals due to safety concerns. If animal interaction is a must for your event, please indicate this need when sending in your event request.
Our animal education programs are popular, so schedule your event early to ensure the availability of your preferred date. All programs must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. Contact us at 717-362-9126 to schedule your event today.